What would happen to me if I protest in front of a car dealership,if it didn’t hold up to their promise?

I bought a car from a car dealership and they said they would hold a check for the deposit until a certain date. They also agreed that if I did not have the funds at that time they would hold it for one more pay period. They instead cashed it even after I told them not to and are saying it was a miscommunication on my part which it was not. If I create a sign and stand in front of the dealership on the sidewalk what risk do I have of the police or civil lawsuit?

Asked on March 8, 2011 under General Practice, Colorado


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

What you really want to do is to picket in front of the dealership.  Laws vary and can depend on place you want to picket. You are given Freedom of Speech rights under our Federal Constitution and i am sure that the Colorado Constitution mimics this right "locally."   But the law does not protect free speech if it is meant to harm or incite a riot.

Now, local laws can regulate time, place, and manner for picketing. And they may also require a permit.  Check with your town board or police department. Remember that you may be threatened with defamation by the dealership but truth is always a defense.  Just be careful what you say and how you say it.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.