What type of answer do I need to submit in response to a foreclosure summons so that I won’t have to pay the deficiency when the home sells?

Foreclosure is in a judicial state.

Asked on June 8, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Kentucky


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It is good that you are going to submit a timely answer to the complaint.  But I do have to tell you that there are no magical words - unless your particular circumstances warrant - to stop a lender from suing you for the deficiency once the proeprty has sold for less than the mortgage.  Unless they waive it in some agreement you will be stuck for it.  I would suggest that you get some legal help if you think that there has been predatory lending, etc. that may influence the outcome.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.