What steps would I take to switch my first and middle names?

I’m using my middle name more as my first name and would like them switched on my birth certificate. What would the cost be, or can I simply use my middle name as my first since it’s part of my name anyway?

Asked on July 9, 2012 under Estate Planning, Tennessee


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You cannot switch them on the birth certificate but you can have them switched with social security. You may need to inquire with social security if you need a formal court order that approves your name change. If it does, simply file with the court the request and absent any reason for why it would not approve it, your name can be changed. You take the court order to Social Security and ask for a name change.  As to your driver's license, you just need to do that with DMV after you receive your new Social Security card.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.