What steps do I take when I go to court?

A few days ago I was pulled over and was unaware my insurance had expired. I received a court date, and would like to know to expect, as well as what steps I need to take. Immediately after I received the citation I returned home and got insurance within an hour. I am not planning to fight the charge, as I was indeed driving without insurance, even if it was unintentional. I would just like to know what exactly I need to do/expect in court. I do have proof of insurance, is there anything else I should bring? I have a clean driving record, and have never had any legal trouble.

Asked on December 21, 2017 under General Practice, Nebraska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Bring license, registration, and proof that you now have insurance. If you still have it, bring the old insurance card or copy of, to show that you'd had insurance but just had lost track of dates and not known it had expired. Show up a bit early and speak to the prosecutor when you have the chance. If you have an otherwise clean record, insurance now, and can show that your lack of insurance was inadvertant (you weren't knowingly driving without insurance), there is a very good chance the prosecutor will let you plead to something with a lesser penalty and/or recommend a lower penalty for your current offense. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.