Is a cop allowed to pull me over and give me a ticket if he was following me with none of his lights on ?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is a cop allowed to pull me over and give me a ticket if he was following me with none of his lights on ?

Cop followed me for a store when I realized
someone was following me I noticed it was a
cop with no lights on, and he pulled me over for
music can he do so ?

Asked on December 27, 2017 under General Practice, Hawaii


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Yes, assuming you did something that you could get ticketed for: the law in no way requires a policy officer to have his or her lights (or siren, for that matter) on before pulling someone over or ticketing them. The lights are a good idea (they make the officer more visible; they warn a driver that he or she will be pulled over), but are not mandatory.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption