What steps do I need to take to have neighbor move their house off my property?

I recently bought some property. A neighbor behind us has a part of
their mobile home on our property. I have sent letters to them and
talked to them and they refuse to move the home. What do I do?

Asked on February 27, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

They have no legal right to have their home on your property, regardless of whether the prior owner allowed them to do so, unless they have an acual easement (and if they did, it should have come up when you did a title search prior to buying the property). If they will not move the mobile home, you should be able to compel them do so by suing them in chancery court and seeking a court order directing the removal of home. Chancery court cases like this are considerably more complicated than, say, suing someone in small claims court over an upaid bill; you are advised to retain an attorney to assist you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.