What paper work is needed for buying a lot with a trailer on it.

I’m buying it with cash from the owner

Asked on March 11, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

If the "trailer" is a mobile home or other similar structure, then you are going to need two different types of transfer documents:
The first will be a special warranty deed to transfer ownership of the land.  Once it is signed, then it needs to be filed with the county clerk in the county where the land is located.  Many title companies can help you with this process for a relatively low fee.  The fee is worth it to make sure that you have clear title ...especially if you are thinking about making any improvements.
The second document will be an Application of Ownership, to transfer ownership of the mobile home to your name.  This form is found on the Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs website.  You can download the form and follow the instructions for filing it with this agency.  Some title companies will help you with this process as well.
If by "trailer", you actually mean a mobile travel travel that can be hooked up to a vehicle and moved, then you simply need to transfer title like you would a vehicle.  These forms can be obtained at your local office where you registure your personal vehicle every year.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.