What kind of motion do you need to file to ask a judge for time served?

Asked on August 30, 2015 under Criminal Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You motion is about as simple as what you have written in your question.  Many jurisdictions have forms for requesting and entering a time served motion.  So, start by writing to the court for the form.  If they don't have a form, then you can still make your own.  At the top should be the heading, which would include your name, the cause number, and a description of the court i.e. municipal court, county court...  Next, list your title, "Motion for Time Served."  After the title, write out your request, namely that as the defendant you are hereby requesting for the court to grant your motion for time served.  Then mail or file the motion with the clerk. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.