What kind of attorney do I need to retain to investigate the disappearance of my father’s funds in his investment account?

This “advisor” is his deceased wife’s brother.This advisor told me:1) I am not the beneficiary even tho my fathers will states I split all his assets with my cousin. I am his only child.2) The advisor said his deceased wife sisters are beneficiairies.3) The advisor said my father authorized loans to family members and all that is left of $498k is $30K.4) This advisor offered $150k to me and call it square.5) To date this advisor has not shown an accounting of these transactions or withdrawals/authorizations of these loans or even the account.I feel $498k is a lot of money to walk away from and just say “oh well”.

Asked on October 23, 2014 under Estate Planning, Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  And I agree with you whole heartedly about not walking away.  Everything you have written here makes things sound a little fishy.  This "advisor" sounds like a Fiduciary and Fiduciaries are generally have reporting requirements.  Any attorney that litigates matters is a good start but those familiar with estate litigation would be best.  You should interview a few and ask their experience, etc.  You can also call your local Bar Association for a referral.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.