What is the next step after the immigrant visa is delayed due to administrative processing?

I am a US citizen and I applied for I-130 for my husband 7 months ago. The I-130 was approved in 2 months ago and the NVC processed the case and transferred the file to the American Embassy in Skopje Macedonia. My husband passed the interview and was told to go pick up the visa 4 days ago. They then decided not to give him the visa and no explanation was given, just that there are more steps needed to complete this case and everything is under administrative processing. What does this mean and what is the next step for us>

Asked on November 7, 2011 under Immigration Law, Illinois


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

The administrative processing can be for a number of reasons, one of which may be suspected fraud.  It may take months, or years  in some cases before it is done.  There is, unfortunately, nothing you can really do to expedite it.  He can follow up with the US Embassy on a regular basis or you can try to get your Congressperson involved in assisting you in finding out what the reason for the admin. proc. is.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.