What is the legal way to get my house trailer off of someone else’s land?

I own a house trailer that my ex-wife and my children are living in. We made an agreement that she could continue living there and I would continue to pay for it. However, she recently filed for child support which makes our agreement no longer valid. I cannot afford to continue to pay for her to live in my home and pay support. My house trailer is on her father’s property and I want to retrieve it so I have a place to live. How do ago about this?

Asked on November 30, 2010 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I think that you need to go and seek legal help in your area as soon as you possibly can.  Things do not sound right in this question like how did you get divorced without having to pay child support in the first place?  Courts do not generally let people agree to no child support these days.  They can waive alimony or spousal support as it is not called but they can not opt out of paying for their kids. The child support is codified in the law and it is comes with work sheets that need to be filled out and submitted, etc.  So you need to take this "agreement" to an attorney to review and advise.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.