How to proper file for reopening I-290b

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to proper file for reopening I-290b

I had been waiting for my interview to be scheduled but I never received my notice in the mail and I’ve checked online and it hadnt been updated. After reaching out to the office where my interview was to be held, I was told my interview had already been scheduled and I had missed it. I didn’t receive the notice in the mail nor did I get an email. I’ve been having problems receiving mail in West Virginia which is why I’ve always checked to see whether or not I had a notice in the mail. Is there any way you can please help me because I have been very careful not to miss anything. I have all of my documents and all I had was the interview. Now my case was denied and I was told to file to reopen but I’m afraid they might still deny it.

Asked on July 3, 2018 under Immigration Law, West Virginia


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you will need to submit I-290b with the appropriate fee and you can provide a cover letter with an explanation as to why you are asking to reopen the case.  IT needs to be submitted before the deadline.  If you have any questions specific to your case or need assistance, feel free to contact me directly.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption