What is the law for an elderly parent to go to a nursing home regarding a Will in that was mad 19 years ago?

Will they have to give up their home or does the Will override the nursing home seizing their property?

Asked on December 8, 2015 under Estate Planning, Kentucky


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

 A will doesn't override transfers made while persons are alive, whether voluntary (e.g. the parent sells the home or gifts it to a child) or involuntary (taken by a creditor or the government). Wills control what happens to property after death, IF the person still owned the property at death. So, say the will says "And to my son, John Doe, I leave my home"--that is read as if it says "And to my son, John Doe, I leave my home if I still owned it on the day that I passed away."

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.