What is my recourse if a former employer has dismissed me without a hearing?

They will not answer my calls to tell me what company policy it was that I supposedly violated. They have caused me to miss being hired by another company. They have already cost me $3,000 in lost wages.

Asked on March 5, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Louisiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Do you have a contract, including a union agreement, which guaranteed you the right to a hearing, or limited grounds for termination to certain specific causes? If so, you can enforce the terms of that agreement and may have a legal cause of action.

However, without such an agreement, you are an "employee at will." An employee at will may be fired at any time, for any reason, without notice and without explanation. An employer is not obligated, except by contract, to return you calls or explain why they fired you. Therefore, unless you had some contract which is being violated, you most likely do not have any recourse.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.