What do the police need to get my ip address?

Hi I sold a gold bar for a 2000 on craigslist. The buyer has contacted me
claiming that I sold them fake gold and are asking for a refund. The only way
they can contact me is through the phone number I gave them. This phone
number is a VOIP which runs off a website. I am refusing to offer a refund.
Given the information here can the police gain a search warrant and access
my ip address to track me down? If the buyer chooses to go to the police?

Asked on June 18, 2017 under Criminal Law, Alaska


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

The police can get a search warrant to obtain your IP address. However, there would need to be reasonable suspicion for getting one issued. For example, the buyer can offer proof that the bar is indeed fake. If so, then at this point you need to retain a criminal law attorney as you can be facing fraud and possibley other related charges regading this transaction.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Assuming that there is evidence that the gold bar was indeed fake--for example, they had it assayed or examined by a goldsmith or metallurgist and have a report showing it was not as advertised--that would provide sufficient probably cause for a search warrant to get your IP address.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.