What do I need to have my step son under 18 immigrate to the U.S. from Honduras?

My wife adopted a child in Honduras. He is 6 years old. We were not married at
the time of the adoption. We are married now. She is a U. S. citizen living in
Honduras. What do I need to bring my stepson the U.S.?

Asked on September 30, 2017 under Immigration Law, Nevada


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If your wife is a US citizen, why do you need to do something to bring him to the US?  She can register him with the US Embassy there as her child and if she is a US citizen, then he would qualify for the benefit of being a US citizen as well if he is legally adopted.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.