What can I legally do?

On May 8, 2017 I was offered a Non-Profit Executive Director position with a start date of June 19, 2017 as I needed to resign from the position I held at the time. Upon arrival on June 19 I was given two background papers as well as an application. I disclosed at that moment that I had misdemeanor conviction. However, after completing this paperwork I was informed that this conviction as well as a post I had posted on Facebook was an issue and that the Personnel Committee would need to meet to determine if I would in fact be the Executive Director. I quit my former position and moved from Kentucky to Michigan based on this offer. During the interview and the offer there was never any mention of any conditions and there was no background check disclaimer in the job posting.

Asked on June 20, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

There is probably nothing you can do if you did not have a written employment contract for a definite term (e.g. a one-year, two-year, etc.) contract. (If you did, you could enforce its terms, including via lawsuit if necessary.) The problem for you is, without such a contract, all employment in this country is "employment at will," which means in a nutshell that there is no guaranty of employment, no right to a job, and an employer may terminate you--or rescind a job offer--at any time, for any reason whatsoever. Without a contract, they can rescind the offer regardless of its effect on you, which is why (for future reference) someone  should not relocate or do anything equally drastic without an employment contract.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.