What can I do to keep my stepbrother from taking over his mother’s assets from my dad now that she has passed?

Asked on October 8, 2014 under Estate Planning, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Is you Dad in need of a guardian or conservator? If your step brother is taking advantage of him - or you think that he will - then you need to apply to the courts to be the conservator of his estate.  That would protect his assets.  If he is of sound mind maybe just talk to him and discuss your concerns and maybe start a little estate planning like putting the assets in to a trust and appointing an independent trustee. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.