What can I do to get the money I’m owed?

I’ve been fighting this for 3 years and they didn’t appeal the judgement. So my employer owes me $2600. The labor board passed down a judgement along with the courts. However, the labor board can only put a lien on the property.

Asked on June 3, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you have a judgement that has been issued buy a court of law then you can execute on that judgement by any means pemitted by under the law in your state.  That generally means you can levy bank account, garnish wages (maybe not available here) or file a lien against property. Look to you local bar association and see if they have any pamphlets about collecting a judgement or even the small claims court may have one.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.