What to do if my minor son has been slandered and libeled by 3 parents and the principal of his school?

UPDATED: Oct 14, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 14, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my minor son has been slandered and libeled by 3 parents and the principal of his school?

This lead to my having to withdraw him form the school. Should I sue the principle and the parents individually or the school district which ignored my pleas for assistance in this matter?

Asked on October 14, 2012 under Personal Injury, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You can potentially sue the parents who defamed him (defamation is the general name for libel--written--and slander--oral--attacks on a person's reputation). Remember that defamation is the making of untrue factual statements which damage a person's reputation; true facts or opinions (e.g. "Johnny is creepy") are not defamation, even if harmful.

You could also sue the principal if he or she made defamatory comments, too. And in addition, you may be able able to sue the school and district, since they are liable for the wrongful actions of their staff performed in the course of employment. From what you write, it would be worthwhile for you to speak with a personal injury attorney about pursuing one or more claims.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption