What can I do if my daughter was injured with second degree burns at school due to soup that was served and spilled?

I’m wondering if the school can be pressed to cover the ER fees incurred today?

Asked on October 24, 2013 under Personal Injury, Minnesota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

The school could be liable, or financially responsible, if the school (i.e. if school employees) were negligent, or unreasonably careless, such as by serving the soup at an unsafe temperature (too hot), or if it spilled because it wasn't cleaning up spills on the floor and somone slipped. If there was no fault on the part of the school--it was an accident without any school staff being careless--then the school would not be liable. Even if the school might be liable, bear in mind that if they refuse to pay voluntarily, the only way to make them pay would be to sue the school and win.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.