If my car was impounded and I need to show the title to get it out, what can I do if the title is in the vehicle?

UPDATED: Apr 8, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 8, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my car was impounded and I need to show the title to get it out, what can I do if the title is in the vehicle?

My wife was in a fender bender accident in a vehicle I just bought. We just moved here from another state and my truck was taken to an impound yard. I went to retrieve it and I was told that I need the title, however the title and bill of sale are inside the vehicle. I was told that if I have the insurance paperwork I could get it but as I just stated I just bought it and she was on the way home. I don’t have the VIN number or plate number to acquire insurance and the impound yard is telling me that I cannot retrieve anything out of it. Is there any way to get this resolved?

Asked on April 8, 2015 under Accident Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

File an open records request for the reports associated with the fender bender.  Most of the information that you need will be listed in the report.  From there, you can get the insurance needed.  You can also reach out to the people/seller to see if they still have the info that you need.  You may also want to visit with an attorney and see if they can run a public record report on the former owners.  Many reports will also include the information that you need to get the insurance. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption