What can I do if a company that contracted formy services does not pay me?

I’m a sub-contractor for a cabinet maker company. They hired me to do a job and I finish it 4 months ago but I still I haven’t been paid. Is there any government office where I can go and file a complaint or something so I can get paid? The sum they owe me is a little over $5,000.

Asked on February 28, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, North Carolina


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.