What can I do about my signature being forged on a document indicating “no interest”in my deceased father’s truck?

My signature was required on a document stating that I had no interest in my father’s vehicle after his death. I refused to sign my brother was asked to forge my signature but refused. Shortly after that the truck disappeared and my father’s adopted daughter had a new vehicle. I know that my signature was forged on this document how can I prove it?

Asked on November 4, 2011 under Estate Planning, Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss and for the problems that have resulted from the distribution of your Father's assets.  May I ask: did your Father's estate go through a normal probate?  Who was the fiduciary - executor or personal representative - of your Father's estate?  It is very difficult to give guidance when there are many procedural facts that need to be answered here in order to really understand how the distribution was done.  But the personal representative would have had the authority to transfer the asset for the benefit of the estate, not for an individual in particular.  And if that is not how the estate was processed and individual signatures were needed for documents, and the estate is closed, then you may have go after your sister directly. If the estate is open then speak with an attorney about filing something with in that proceeding rather than in a separate proceeding.  Good luck.     

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.