What can I do about a discrepancy in hourly wages?

I am a retired teacher working for an hourly wage in the district from which I retired. Last year, I worked in a program and was paid an hourly wage reserved for teachers retired from the district – different than the usual and lower hourly wage for people who had not retired from the district. This year, I accepted the same job on the same terms (verbal) and was never informed that the hourly wage would the lower amount. When I received my pay check, I discovered the difference. What can I do?

Asked on June 11, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

In hindsight you should have confirmed the hourly wage with respect to the job that you have before you accepted it. In order to resolve the issue that you have written about, I would have a face to face meeting with the person in charge of offering you the position that you accepted in order to see if there is a possibility that you would be able to get the higher hourly wage.

If not, then you have the hourly wage that was given you by your employer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.