What are the consequences when creditor violates a bankruptcy stay?

Do I report him or what? I filed bankruptcy over 2 months ago, I just got served eviction papers by my landlord for the amount on the bankruptcy, Also, I had purchased a truck from him and he came the week after I filed and picked the truck up. What are the consequences for him if I report him to the judge?

Asked on July 15, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Washington


Terence Fenelon / Law Offices of Terence Fenelon

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

What you describe is a clear violation of the bankrupcy code and is sanctionable.  Although landlords are granted different treatment under the code, they still must get permission from the bankruptcy judge to resort to "self help" remedies, as you described.  The same applies to your vehicle.  I would run to a bankruptcy attorney in your juristiction and give the facts,  If provable, the creditor would be liable for your attorney fees.  Following the proper procedures, you may eventually be evicted and lose your vehicle, but it would take a significant amount of time, perhaps enough for you to get a foothold on your finances to prevent the consequences.

You cannot just complain to the judge.  a proper motion with notice must be filed with court and served upon the other party with a chance for the Court to hear all side.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.