what are my rights in wisconsin

Me and my husband of 13 years are getting divorced we have 2 kids and he is trying to screw me in every way possible im the primary money maker he does not work what r my rights in wisconsin

Asked on July 1, 2009 under Family Law, Wisconsin


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The divorce laws are different from one state to another, so you'll need to see an attorney in your area.  And detailed advice, that you can rely on, will have to be based on the detailed facts of your case.  One place to find a lawyer, who can put a stop to your husband, is our website, http://attorneypages.com

In many states, the courts would not simply shrug their shoulders as far as your husband not working;  unless he is disabled, the courts will assume that he is capable of earning a certain amount of money (which would at least be minimum wage, or higher if he has job skills or experience), and base a child support award against him on that.  It would also tend to reduce any alimony that he might get.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.