what are my rights

So detectives came to my house and said
i was a suspect for a animal cruelty
case and that i had to go take a
polygraph test do to rumers i guess and
i have been getting slanderd.

Asked on April 7, 2017 under Criminal Law, Utah


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Do not speak to the police again; you are under no legal duty to do so even if they come back to your house. In a situation where you are accussed of a crime, you should never meet with the police without having an attorney to represent you and under no circumstances take a polygraph with first speaking to legal counsel. You could easily and unintentionally say something to incriminate yourself.  At this point you need to retain an attorney who practices criminal law in your area.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.