What are my options to legally petition my girlfriend/fiance from the Philippines?

I divorced my wife here in US that I married and petitioned from the Philippines few years ago, because our relationship didn’t work out. I have a girlfriend now in the Philippines and it’s a long distance relationship since I’m a U.S. citizen and have been living here for 10 years. What are my options to petition my girlfriend to U.S. since there’s no divorce in the Philippines. And I’m still considered married over there even if I’m already divorced here in US with my ex-wife?

Asked on March 8, 2012 under Immigration Law, California


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you are legally divorced in the US, then you are legally divorced.  The Philippines' laws will not matter in this situation since you would be petitioning another woman who is not married and it would be done through the US Embassy there.  You can petition for her as a fiancee and once she gets the fiancee visa and comes to the US, you can get married in the US.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.