How to collect for services rendered to a business?

I had a contract with a client to provide him with producing 3 television shows. The contract states that we lowered the original price because we were going to do 3 instead of 1. I also did extra work and charged him very, very little and a lot less than what my fee is. He has yet to pay me for that extra work and he has told me that he does not intend to use us anymore for the 2 remaining shows. In the contract it states that if he does not use us for all 3 shows, he still owes what the final bill would be. He has refused to pay me and will not take my calls anymore.

Asked on March 18, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Ohio


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the client for breach of contract.  Your damages (the amount you are seeking to recover in your lawsuit) would be the amount the client has failed to pay.  Your damages should also include court costs.  Court costs would include the court filing fee and process server fee.  If you get a judgment against the client and the client does not pay, you could go after assets the client has to satisfy the judgment. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.