If we fired an employee for stealing a client’s credit card information to commit credit card fraud, what obligation do we have to notify our other clients to of the security breach?

Asked on August 28, 2014 under Business Law, Hawaii


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If you do not notify them, you could be liable for all loses and expenses they incur as a result  of the theft, since it is, at a minimum, negligent, or unreasonably careless, to not notify customers of a stolen credit card. By not notifying them, you prevent them from taking their own precautionary measures (like closing the affected account) and therefore may have to reimburse them for their losses. You can best protect your company by making a timely and proper announcement. You are, however, advised to seek legal counsel before doing so, to shape your announcment in a way that best insulates you from liability; the lawyer can also advise you as to other steps to take. (For example, if you haven't reported the theft to the authorities, you probably should, since that shows you are taking all reasonable measures--your attorney can discuss this with you.) You may also wish to consider hiring a PR firm to help you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.