How can my husband adopt my daughter?

We need to relinquish all rights from bio father.

Asked on November 9, 2011 under Family Law, New Mexico


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

How nice that your husband wants to adopt your daughter.  But may I ask: is her Father in the picture at all?  Does he have visitation and pay child support?  Because courts are not inclined to sever the parental ties, it can be a very difficult thing to do. Now, if her Father relinquishes his rights to her voluntarily that would make things much easier for you.  He can do so in the same proceeding where your husband would adopt your daughter.  Otherwise, if he will not do so, then I would advise to seek help from an attorney in your area about bringing a termination proceeding.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.