If my daughter ran away when she was 17 and is now 19 and wants my tax papers to apply for financial aid for college, am I obligated to do so?

Am I obligated to be responsible for this?

Asked on September 13, 2012 under Family Law, Colorado


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You are not legally responsible for helping her apply for financial aid.  If you have not seen her in while, then you may be leary of handing over so personal and confidential information as it could be used to cause other forms of personal, financial havock, like:  identify theft and fraudulent use of identifying info.  If you want to help her, then see who she's talking to at the school.  If she's not living with you, then your income shouldn't matter.  If for some valid reason it does, see if you can provide the info directly to the school and bypass your daughter. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.