What to do if we had an auto accident that was the fault of the other driver but the wrong car was paid off?

Their insurance company paid our lender the lien amount requested by our lender for the car we were driving. The lender incorrectly asked for the lien amount for my daughter’s car instead of mine. The lienholder has now sent the title to my daughteer’s car to her signed off by the lienholder. The lienholder is now asking us to correct this monetarily for them. What should we do?

Asked on January 9, 2013 under Bankruptcy Law, Indiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you contact the insurance company that incorrectly issued the check for the wrong car that was paid off in writing demanding that since its representative made the mistake that its representative rectify it. Keep a copy of such letter for future use and need. Copy the lien holder of the other car on the latter sent as well as a precaution.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.