If we felt misled and coerced into signing a car lease agreement yesterday, can we get out of it without penalty?

About 2 hours after closing and we’d negotiated a lease. We didn’t want to complete the lease until we spoke with our insurance agent the next business day (Monday). We were given a trade-in value promissory note to sign, allowing us two weeks to decide on the commitment to trade our car for a new lease. The sales rep left, and the finance manager told us to sign all documents. We were confused. Before viewing or signing the agreement, the finance manager said that if, come Monday, we were not happy with the lease, it would be null and void without penalty. We didn’t take the car. What are our options?

Asked on July 9, 2012 under General Practice, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I would bring the document to ana ttorney to review.  What they "told you" and what is written in the documents are two different things. If you wish to set aside the contract on the basis of fraud or duress or coerscion then you need to speak with the lawyer as to the supporting evidence needed to support this claim.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.