What to do about the violation of a court order?

Subject to final divorce decree I was awarded possession of all vehicles registered in my name. This included a car and a small utility trailer, as well as a list of personal possessions. Items were to be removed 10 months ago. The personal possessions were removed. By verbal agreement the trailer remained on the property for the winter. When spring arrived I called my ex to arrange pickup but she has denied me access, going back on her word. I have offered on several occasions I have broached this issue with her and recommended using mediation to resolve the issue.

Asked on October 18, 2011 under Family Law, Vermont


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You can go to court to seek enforcement of the court order.  Your ex can be subject to civil and/or criminal penalties for violating a court order.  Prior to scheduling another hearing with the court regarding this issue, you can tell your ex that she can be subject to civil and/or criminal penalties for violating a court order.  Hopefully, that warning will result in her compliance with the court order without a return to court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.