What should I do if the state is taking more then half of my paycheck for child support?

I think that my ex-wife is lying to the state to get more.

Asked on September 4, 2012 under Family Law, Tennessee


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If more than half of each of your paycheck is being garnished each pay period for child support obligations I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney to make sure that the amount being garnished from a percentage stand point is allowed. If not, you need to file a claim of exemption with the court clerk's office concerning the action against you for child support so that the court can review the propriety of the amount being taken each pay period.

In most states the maximium amount that can be levied upon is 25 % per each pay period.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.