What to do if someone reported to the police that I hit their car on the highway and left the scene?

She reported my license plate and picked my photo out of a photo line up. I have not been in an accident and have no damage on my car. Do I need a lawyer?

Asked on September 9, 2013 under Criminal Law, Georgia


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you need to get a criminal defense attorney as soon as possible.  If there is no damage to your car and no work has been done on it recently, your lawyer will point that out to the prosecutor and possibly get the charges dropped.  But you should not try to go this alone without counsel.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.