Someone gifted me a piece of land, now they want it back, What can I do?

My x fianc gifted me a piece of his land, and had papers and everything drawn up. We ended up not getting married, now he wants me to sign something saying I’m going to give it back. What are my legal rights?

Asked on January 2, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Louisiana


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

Once a gift is given, the donor or "giver" relinquishes all legal right to it. Accordingly, you cannot be made to return it. 

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

A gift, once given, cannot be ungiven: the giver gives up all rights to it and cannot get it back. He can *ask* you to return it, since anyone can ask anything they want, but cannot force you to return it. You don't have to give it back and should not sign anything saying you will, unless you decide voluntarily to return it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.