Is there anything that I can legally do to get me more time to find a home?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there anything that I can legally do to get me more time to find a home?

I have lived on my brother-in-law’s property for about 8 year’s in my truck and recenty my husband passed away. Now I have been told that I need to move my truck and be out of here in a week. I get my mail here. This has been my home. I know I don’t have a conventional home but it’s what I’m working with. Is there anything that I can do? Can they just told my truck with out my permission and make leave?

Asked on January 2, 2019 under Real Estate Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

The can't hold your truck (if it's your truck, it's yours), BUT they can require you to move. It doesn't matter how long you lived there; staying on another's property with their permission gives you no rights to remain there. Legally, you are just a guest; a guest can be made to leave whenever the property owner(s) want the guest gone. If you don't leave, they can bring a type of legal action traditionally called an action "for partition" (your state may have a different name for it) to get a court order or writ that will cause the sheriff to remove you. You can take the truck, but will have to go, and there are no legal grounds to get more time, since you simply have no right to remain there.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption