Should I represent myself in a criminal case?

I was indicted on a Wildlife Charge, taking wildlife resource without consent,
it is a state jail felony in Texas. I was denied a court appointed lawyer, and
now have no idea with how to proceed. I cannot afford to hire a lawyer, and my
county doesnt have any pro-bono attorneys. Should I call the District Attorneys
office and try to negotiate a deal, or just represent myself in the case.

Asked on July 4, 2017 under Criminal Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

The answer is a resounding "NO!"--don't represent youself for a felony. A felony means the possibility of one year plus in jail; unless you don't mind potentially spending a year in jail, hire an attorney. While an attorney will not guaranty a good result, it will substantially help you. Even if you have to borrow money from friends and family, with a year plus in jail on the line, you want every advantage you can get. I know from experience that I have gotten clients better pleas or dealst than they could have gotten themselves, due to my experience,  familiarity with the court and prosecutor, and knowledge of procedure; let an attorney help you, too.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.