Should I press charges if I was involved in a verbal altercation inside a fast food place but I was not the instigator?

My friends and I were assaulted by a group of individuals inside a fast food place. The manager kick all of us out even after we asked her to call the police. Outside, the group of individuals again started at us and ended up pushing and punching one of us. We did not touch them. We called the police outside and gave them our story. They spoke with a few of the others from the attacking group but no one was arrested. What should our next move be? Talk to the police to pursue further action? Contact the fast food place to insist they provide answers/compensation?

Asked on August 1, 2012 under Personal Injury, Pennsylvania


Andrew Goldberg

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Again, ask the police to file criminal charges. If the police fail to act, you can file a Private Criminal Complaint in the local District Court and a prliminary hearing will be scheduled. Your private criminal complaint should include Disorderly Conduct  ( summary offense ), Harassment ( summary offense ) and Simple Assault ( midemeanor ). To file the private criminal complaint, go to the District Court and the criminal clerk will have a form to be completed and filed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.