Served Civil Action documents for Debt.

I have been served papers for an $11,062.27 debt for a charged off credit card. I need help on how to respond. I am not disputing the debt. I do not want any further legal action and I need to know what to do as I am also unemployed!

Asked on June 11, 2009 under Bankruptcy Law, Georgia


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am a lawyer in CT and practice in this area.  If you do not dispute the debt and do not want the creditor to come after your house or wages or bank accounts or other assets, then you want to call the creditor and figure out a way to compromise the amount due via settlement.  Some credit card companies will allow you to enter into a settlment agreement where you stipulate to a compormised judgement (something less than what is owed) and pay over time and if you fail to do that a judgment may be executed on.  If you cannot afford to hire a lawyer then i suggest calling the lawyer for the credit card company and explan that you are comtemplating filing bankruptcy and will pay a reduced amount or pay the full amount over time to avoid a bk filing.  the creditor will get nothing if you file so they shoudl have an incentive to compromise the debt.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.