What can I do if the seller didn’t disclose about knob and tube wiring nor did the inspector?

I bought a house a year ago and had it inspected. No one mentioned that there is knob and tube wiring. Can I take them to court?

Asked on November 11, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Minnesota


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If the "knob and tube" electrical wiring that you are writing about concerning your home that you apparently just bought is the original wiring and the home was built before 1950 or so, the existing wiring is legal for the home. There is nothing for you to complain  about.

Although the type of wiring you are writing about is illegal per the Uniform Building Code on new construction these days, it is allowed in exisiting structures where it was originally installed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.