If I recently remarried and just found out my divorce was never filed by first wife, whatis my next step?

Divorce from 2 years ago in CA not filed. We had no children together; no property to divide; we were only together a short time.

Asked on September 20, 2011 under Family Law, Massachusetts


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You must realize that you are in a very precarious position here. You need to get divorced from your first wife as soon as you possibly can.  You should consider filing in Masacheusetts if the divorce proceeding was ever filed in California.  You remarraige to your second wife is not valid because you were never divorced.  Are you still in touch with your first wife?  Will she cooperate and sign the papers necessary for you to file and uncontested divorce in Massacheusetts?  She will have to consent to service and possibly waive answering to have the court obtain jurisdiction over her to grant the divorce.  Get some help Here.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.