Putting a neighbor’s fallen tree back into their property

Hurricane Irma downed an 80-foot oak tree from my neighbor’s property on to my yard. My neighbor said that since it’s on my property it is my problem. From what I looked up he is correct in that statement. Since my property isn’t big enough to hold the pieces of a 80 foot oak nor do I have the cash laying around to pay to have someone clean it up, if I chop it up can I place the remanence on his property since it is originally history and part of it still lays on his property?

Asked on September 13, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, you can't put the pieces back on his property. If a hurricane downed the tree, your neighbor is not liable for it; that includes not being liable to clean it up--but if you put it on his property, that effectively, and illegally, makes him liable for the removal cost. If you do this, he could sue you for the cost to have to ground up or trucked away. You need to dispose of the part on your property entirely yourself; of course, you do not need to help your neighbor out and dispose of any part on his property--that is his problem.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.