What to do about property left behind after a divorce?

My ex-husband got some personal property awarded to him in our divorce, which was final over 2 years ago (lawn tractor, boat and trailer). I was awarded the house, which was also mine premarital. It is now 13 months later and he has made no effort to remove these items from my property. What should I do to either reclaim these items legally or force him to remove them? Would I also be entitled to storage fees?

Asked on June 23, 2012 under Family Law, Connecticut


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Well, he could be in contempt of the divorce decree by not removing them (one would need to read the decree but can assume same) and the mnarital agreement which is a breach of contract claim.  But what you could do is to make a motion to the court (on notice to him) for contempt and requesting that the court order him to remove them by a certain date or allow you to dispose of them with out repercussion.  Otherwise it could be conversion. I doubt you would get storage fees but ask.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.