What doI do if a company that I owe a loan to is now out of business?

I owe a loan company and they have been closed down and are under indictment for fraud, etc. I am unable to reach anyone there by phone (disconnected) and want to pay off my debt. What do I do?

Asked on March 28, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Arizona


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Well, first you need to find out if your loan was legally binding or if this company needed a license from your state to give you this loan. So, first start with your attorney general and your state agency that handles loans of your type. Now, if you find out the loan was illegal, you may actually not have to pay it back and you can use the court indictments and statutes to send to the credit reporting companies and ask that this be taken off of your credit reports. Make sure you review all four credit reporting agencies (includes Innovis) and file everything in writing. Next, if this is still a viable loan and the company is under fraud, most would simply wait it out and see if your loan is sent to a receiver to collect or to a third party collection agency to collect. The reason you would want to wait is because if you begin paying it off now and send to the address where the company was, you run the risk of it being taken by a stranger and no trace left.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.