How do you determine jurisdiction for an accident if the driver was from out-of-state and the victim was from a third state?

I was in a no-fault car accident (rear-ended) 2 years ago. I am considering filing a case after insurance closed my claim. I am a resident of CT, the other party was from PA and the accident occurred in NY. As I understand, lawyers are limited in jurisdiction by state and the deadline for filing also varies by state. Could you please advise, what filing deadline applies to my case (2 years or 3 years) and which state(s) should the attorney, that I file this case through, be licensed in.

Asked on August 19, 2011 Connecticut


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

A lawsuit can be filed where the plaintiff resides or where the defendant resides or where the claim arose.  You could file in CT, PA or NY.  The problem however is that CT and PA  both have a two year statute of limitations in personal injury cases which means you have missed the filing deadline since the accident occurred two years ago.  You can still file in NY since NY has a three year statute of limitations in personal injury cases.  If you file your lawsuit in NY, you should retain a NY attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.