If our mom just passed away and left her property to my niece but we have a addict sister still living there, how can we have her removed legally?

Asked on April 24, 2014 under Real Estate Law, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If she is not paying rent, then she is a guest of the legal owner (your neice). A guest may be asked to leave at any time. If she will not leave, your neice, as the property owner, may file an action for "ejectment" in court in order to remove her--ejectment is basically eviction for non-tenants (people who are not required to pay rent are not tenants). Ejectment actions can be somewhat complex, so it would be best to retain an attorney to handle this for your neice.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.